Roma Opera House 2012-2013 Season
2012-2013 SEASON OF OPERA HOUSE (Teatro dell'Opera) in ROME
The Roma Opera House (Teatro dell’Opera) is one of the most important and celebrated Roman and Italian theatres and it is the theatre dedicated to opera and ballet.
It was built starting from 1874 by the architect Achille Sfondrini accordingly the neo-renaissance style and it was inaugurated on 1880 in the presence of King and Queen of Italy (Umberto I and Margherita di Savoia) with a performance of Semiramide of Gioacchino Rossini. From 1926 the Roma Opera House is property of city of Rome and during the years it has undergone several changes of name as well modifications and improvements; now it boasts a total capacity of 2200 seats. The major and most important Italian and International orchestra leaders have performed at the Roma Opera House during all these years: Pietro Mascagni and his world premiere of Cavalleria Rusticana on 1890, Giacomo Puccini with the premiere of Tosca on 1900, Arturo Toscanini, Ruggero Leoncavallo, Erich Kleiber, Herbert von Karajan, Claudio Abbado and Riccardo Muti. Also, some of the most beloved Opera singers: Enrico Caruso, Beniamino Gigli, Ebe Stignani, Maria Callas, Renata Tebaldi, Mario del Monaco, Renata Scotto, Montserrat Caballé, Raina Kabaivanska, Josè Carreras, Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti. Furthermore, during the summer season (July and August), the scheduled shows held in the wonderful outdoor scenario of Terme di Caracalla (Caracalla’s baths) with the Roman ruins as the backdrop.
The Roma Opera House (Teatro dell’Opera) program for the 2012-2013 season is the following:
- LA GIOCONDA lyric drama by Amilcare Ponchielli from October 23rd to October 31st. Orchestra Leader Claudio Abbado, Director Pierluigi Pizzi. Orchestra, Chorus and Corps de Ballet of Roma Opera House. It is one of the most important scheduled shows of the entire season, because the Ponchielli's drama is one of the most beloved and appreciated by the opera lovers.
- SIMON BOCCANEGRA opera by Giuseppe Verdi from November 27th to December 11th 2012. Orchestra Leader Riccardo Muti, Director Adrian Noble, set design by the 2 Oscar Awards Dante Ferretti and Francesca Lo Schiavo. Orchestra and Chorus of Roma Opera House.
- DON CHISCIOTTE ballet with music of Ludwig Minkus from December 22nd 2012 to January 5th 2013. Director Nir Kabaretti. Orchestra and Corps of Ballet of Roma Opera House.
- I DUE FOSCARI lyric tragedy by Giuseppe Verdi from March 6th to March 16th 2013. Orchestra Leader Riccardo Muti, Director Werner Herzog. Orchestra and Chorus of Roma Opera House.
- RIENZI L'ULTIMO DEI TRIBUNI opera with music of Richard Wagner from May 10th to May 18th 2013. Orchestra Leader Stefan Soltesz. Orchestra and Chorus by Roma Opera House.
- DON PASQUALE comic opera by Gaetano Donizetti from June 18th to June 25th 2013. Orchestra Leader Bruno Campanella, Director Ruggero Cappuccio. Orchestra and Chorus by Roma Opera House.
- NABUCODONOSOR lyric drama from July 16th to July 13rd 2013. Orchestra Leader Riccardo Muti, Director Jean-Pierre Scarpitta. Orchestra and Chorus of Roma Opera House.
- TURANDOT by Giacomo Puccini from October 23rd to October 31st 2013. Orchestra and Chorus of Roma Opera House.
Teatro dell'Opera in Rome
Piazza Beniamino Gigli, 7 Rome
Phone: +39 06 481601
The Roma Opera House is located in the heart of Rome, a dew steps away from Roma Termini railway station, in Beniamino Gigli Square. From Roma Termini railway station it is possible reach the theatre by walk or by underground (Line A - stop REPUBBLICA TEATRO DELL'OPERA) or by bus with the following lines: 16, 38, 75, 86,90, 217,310, 360, 649, 714.
The BEST WESTERN Ambra Palace is located in Principe Amedeo Street and just 1 km away from the Opera House; then you can reach the theatre by a pleasant walking of 15 minutes or by underground (just 1 stop from the hotel).